Useful Plants Nursery - plants for edible landscapes
Welcome to Useful Plants Nursery. We specialize in growing edible and medicinal plants - mostly fruit and nut trees, berry bushes, brambles, and other useful plants. We are located at Earthaven Ecovillage, about 45 minutes Southeast of Black Mountain. The nursery is open by appointment and we bring plants to events in town. We also deliver plants within a four-hour drive from our nursery, with frequent deliveries to Asheville.
Organic Growers School, March 8-9, UNCA, Asheville
Organic Growers School is the official start of the gardening season in WNC. We'll have our Useful Plants there, and Chuck and Debbie will be presenting workshops. Let us know a couple days ahead of time if you would like us to bring plants especially for your yard.
Mother Earth News Fair, April 12-13, WNC Ag Center, Asheville
The Mother Earth News Fair is coming to Asheville for the first time after being very successful in Pennsylvania and Kansas. We'll bring our plants as Chuck and Debbie join nationally known speakers, such as Joel Salatin, in leading workshops. Our presentations will be on the Organic Gardening stage and our booth will be in the same building.
Useful Plants gift certificates!
Give the gift that keeps giving for years to come. With a UPN gift certificate, your recipient can choose the plants they want when they are ready to plant them.
- Gift certificates can be sent by email as a PDF file and/or through the regular mail in printed form.
- We keep a record of the gift certificates, so they can be used even if the paper is lost.
- Gift certificates never expire.
- Debbie makes each certificate individually, so we can easily include a photo of the plants of your choice, message, or pretty much anything that will make the gift more special.
Now you can have all of our instructional videos on a DVD! These are the same videos as on our website, but with the DVD you can watch them on a DVD player or on a computer that doesn't have high-speed Internet.
The DVD is only $10 plus $2 to cover sales tax and postage. Order yours here:
The DVD contains:
- Planting a shrub or fruit tree with Chuck Marsh and a Nanking cherry
- Planting a blueberry bush with Chuck Marsh and a blueberry plant
- Pruning young fruit trees with Chuck Marsh and a couple apple trees
- Pruning trees into bushes with Debbie Lienhart and some mulberry trees/shrubs
- Pruning young blueberry bushes with Troy Swift and a blueberry plant
- Pruning mature blueberries
- Pinch pruning with Chuck Marsh and a whole cast of plants
- Pruning muscadine grapes
- Taking care of blackberries with Chuck Marsh in Marjorie's blackberry patch
- A shorter version of taking care of blackberries with Chuck
- Taking care of blackberries (follow up)
- Tuck your figs in for the winter with Chuck Marsh and a couple fig trees
- Winter protection for small figs with Chuck Marsh and some smaller fig plants
- Untucking figs after winter - see which protection methods worked the best
Asheville: We deliver plants to Asheville most weeks.
Chapel Hill and Durham: We deliver plants to the Chapel Hill and Durham areas about once a month in the spring and fall. Our first delivery this season will be February 28.
Hendersonville: We go to Hendersonville about once a month and would be happy to deliver plants.
Custom deliveries are available. The delivery charge is based on the distance from our nursery near Black Mountain, subject to minimum order size. Organize a group order and share the delivery charge! See our delivery section for details. Call (828) 669-6517 to schedule a delivery.
Subscribe to the Useful Plants newsletter!
Our newsletter is a great source of information about useful plants, their incorporation into landscapes, and what we are doing to make the world a more abundant place to inhabit. Thanks for reading!
Useful Plants Nursery is a small, permaculture-based nursery specializing in useful, phytonutritional, food, and medicine plants well-adapted to our Southern Appalachian mountains and surrounding bioregions. Our plants are grown without the use of synthetic pesticides at our nursery located at Earthaven Ecovillage. I believe that growing your own food and medicine plants is a vitally important strategy and practice for regaining control over our collective and personal lives, our health, and our individual and bioregional economic well being. Our nursery is dedicated to putting those beliefs into practice and truly creating "Liberation through Abundance" as we serve your needs for healthy, useful landscape plants, and work together to reweave the web of life.
-- Chuck Marsh, nurseryperson, permaculture designer, bioregional inhabitant
Organic Growers School
Thank you to everyone who came to our presentation on Horticultural Strategies for the Home Orchard at the 2013 Organic Growers School! Here are links to PDF files for our slides and handout:
Link to Michael Phillip's Holistic Orchard Network website.