Useful Plants Nursery - plants for edible landscapes
Welcome to Useful Plants Nursery. We specialize in growing edible and medicinal plants - mostly fruit and nut trees, berry bushes, brambles, and other useful plants. We are located at Earthaven Ecovillage, about 45 minutes Southeast of Black Mountain. The nursery is open three days each week and by appointment, and we bring plants to events in town. We also deliver plants within a four-hour drive from our nursery, with frequent deliveries to Asheville.
Visiting the nursery
The nursery is open by appointment only. Please give us a call at 828-669-6517 or contact us with the web form if you would like to visit.
Plants available in town
You can find a Useful Plants in Asheville, Black Mountain, and Chapel Hill! We keep a selection of our most popular smaller plants at each place and can always take special orders with a few days notice to Asheville or Black Mountain, or a few weeks notice to Chapel Hill.
- Asheville: The Villagers, 278 Haywood Road
- Black Mountain: Roots & Fruits (location of the former Black Mountain Farmers Market)
- Chapel Hill: Niche Gardens, 1111 Dawson Road
Useful Plants gift certificates!
Give the gift that keeps giving for years to come. With a UPN gift certificate, your recipient can choose the plants they want when they are ready to plant them.
- Gift certificates can be sent by email as a PDF file and/or through the regular mail in printed form.
- We keep a record of the gift certificates, so they can be used even if the paper is lost.
- Gift certificates never expire.
- Debbie makes each certificate individually, so we can easily include a photo of the plants of your choice, message, or pretty much anything that will make the gift more special.
Now you can have all of our instructional videos on a DVD! These are the same videos as on our website, but with the DVD you can watch them on a DVD player or on a computer that doesn't have high-speed Internet.
The DVD is only $10 plus $2 to cover sales tax and postage. Order yours here:
The DVD contains:
- Planting a shrub or fruit tree with Chuck Marsh and a Nanking cherry
- Planting a blueberry bush with Chuck Marsh and a blueberry plant
- Pruning young fruit trees with Chuck Marsh and a couple apple trees
- Pruning trees into bushes with Debbie Lienhart and some mulberry trees/shrubs
- Pruning young blueberry bushes with Troy Swift and a blueberry plant
- Pruning mature blueberries
- Pinch pruning with Chuck Marsh and a whole cast of plants
- Pruning muscadine grapes
- Taking care of blackberries with Chuck Marsh in Marjorie's blackberry patch
- A shorter version of taking care of blackberries with Chuck
- Taking care of blackberries (follow up)
- Tuck your figs in for the winter with Chuck Marsh and a couple fig trees
- Winter protection for small figs with Chuck Marsh and some smaller fig plants
- Untucking figs after winter - see which protection methods worked the best
Asheville: We deliver plants to Asheville most weeks.
Chapel Hill and Durham: We deliver plants to the Chapel Hill and Durham areas about once a month in the spring and fall.
Hendersonville: We go to Hendersonville occasionally and would be happy to deliver plants.
Custom deliveries are available. The delivery charge is based on the distance from our nursery near Black Mountain, subject to minimum order size. Organize a group order and share the delivery charge! See our delivery section for details. Call (828) 669-6517 to schedule a delivery.
Subscribe to the Useful Plants newsletter!
Our newsletter is a great source of information about useful plants, their incorporation into landscapes, and what we are doing to make the world a more abundant place to inhabit. Thanks for reading!
Useful Plants Nursery is a small, permaculture-based nursery specializing in useful, phytonutritional, food, and medicine plants well-adapted to our Southern Appalachian mountains and surrounding bioregions. Our plants are grown without the use of synthetic pesticides at our nursery located at Earthaven Ecovillage. I believe that growing your own food and medicine plants is a vitally important strategy and practice for regaining control over our collective and personal lives, our health, and our individual and bioregional economic well being. Our nursery is dedicated to putting those beliefs into practice and truly creating "Liberation through Abundance" as we serve your needs for healthy, useful landscape plants, and work together to reweave the web of life.
-- Chuck Marsh, nurseryperson, permaculture designer, bioregional inhabitant
Slides and handouts from Chuck's and Debbie's presentations
Mother Earth News Fair 2014
Organic Growers School
- Horticultural Strategies for the Home Orchard
- Innovative Horticultural Strategies for a New Permaculture Century
Link to Michael Phillip's Holistic Orchard Network website.